Old September 21st 05, 05:20 AM
Michael McCulloch

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:08:19 -0500, David Knisely
wrote:

Well, Big Bear is kind of down, but there is indeed a huge quiescent
prominence on the east limb. It is a long disturbed hedgerow-type with
an arch-like section that looks like it is approaching "breakoff height"
(50,000 km). The arch-like form of the southern half is a bit frayed
along the top with only two footpoints, so it might eventually break off
and float away in a disparition brusque eruption.

I captured the arcing prominence shape at about 21h UT:

http://gamesforone.com/stars/images/sun9-20-05.jpg

I just used a tripod (i.e. no tracking) and the elevation at that time
of day was not the greatest for seeing, but the prom was quite
impressive in the PST.

---
Michael McCulloch