Old June 20th 12, 01:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 3938

On 6/19/2012 4:05 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
NGC 3938 is one of my favourite galaxies since I first imaged it in 2002 (at
that time with an 8" Meade LX200 and MX516 camera, 2x20m exposure, to be
found athttp://www.slilge.de/MX512_img/3938-40gut.jpg.html ).
I imaged it in three nights in April, of which only the first had good
conditions (but I started late that night), the second had bad transparency
and the third had clouds which eventually made the autoguider lose the
guidestar.
After processing the new frames I had to find that my previous attempts from
2009 and 2007 were deeper, so I added them to the stack. That cost sharpness
and stars are not perfectly round any more, but the result is much deeper.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Meade 10" ACF/ C8 on a G11 mount,
Atik 383 and SXV-H9 cameras, 27x10m and 65x5m for Lum, 12x10m for RGB each.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp7/3938colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Sounds like you are having some of the same weather issues I do.
Actually mine started in April of 2011. If anything they've gotten
worse since then. This spring was a complete bust with my needing many
nights per galaxy for rather iffy data. Very frustrating. This one was
on my list for last spring, then this spring and now next spring. Maybe
by then the weather will cooperate and I can actually collect some photons.

Rick

--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net