Old July 5th 19, 11:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Commercial Crew

JF Mezei wrote on Fri, 5 Jul 2019
14:44:17 -0400:

On 2019-06-28 12:25, Fred J. McCall wrote:

If the abort test is at Max Q I don't think this makes any difference
anyway, since you're not really 'accelerating' at Max Q. And wouldn't
part of the 'normal' abort sequence shut down the booster anyhow?

If you get in a situation so dire that you must eject in flight, can you
really expect that a shutdown command of liquid fueled engines will work?

Will you please stop misusing 'eject' for this situation? To answer
your question, yes, you can.

Say there is an explosion near top of Stage 1. This would sever
connection between capsule and the engines at bottom of stage 1.
Capsule could eject, but not send shutdown command to engines. Would
they shutdown within milliseconds of losing data link to capsule or
would they run till told otherwise?

They would 'shut down' when the explosion occurs because the
propellant tanks would lose pressurization. Liquid rockets do not
both blow up AND continute to boost.

Seems to me that a capsule eject system, is designed to handle worse
case scenario, would have to consider possibility of stack still getting
propulsion as it explodes. (even if the odds are that explosion would be
at engines and thus kill propulsion).

Please go read up on how liquid fuel rockets work.

-- Thomas Jefferson