Old October 7th 17, 03:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Is Elon Musk ready for the straitjacket ?

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 06:40:17 -0700 (PDT), StarDust
wrote:

Most people lease EV cars, not own it. This tech is moving so fast, not worth to keep for long time.
Also, I wouldn't buy an EV car , unless I drive a lot or only use it to commute to work.
On EV cars , same with solar, the initial cost is too high, I think!
Takes 4-5 years when an EV car start to pay back.

This assumes, of course, that a simple economic payback is at the core
of your decision making process. A person can have other rational
considerations, as well.

It also depends on circumstance. Where I live it is often cheaper when
building a new house to install solar than to connect to the grid. It
pays for itself on the first day, and the subsequent cost per WH is
much less. So it's economically sound, even aside from the pleasure of
not being tied to a utility, and having a more robust power solution.

Where I live, it consumes a few liters of gasoline just getting to a
gas station. I could keep an electric car charged from a couple
hundred dollars worth of PV panels and that would cover almost all my
usage. I'd buy an electric car in an instant, except they haven't yet
produced one that meets my requirements- 4WD SUV format, not a hybrid.
I don't think it will be much longer, though.