Old October 7th 17, 10:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default Is Elon Musk ready for the straitjacket ?

Mike Collins wrote:
RichA wrote:
Divide 150,000km into your driving. Now factor in the $14,000 the
battery of a Volt or Leaf costs. Still cheaper than a gasoline car,
which can easily hit 250,000km before needing a $3500 engine rebuild.

Your estimated cost is miles off. I wouldn’t buy a Leaf because of the
limited range but the costs re much less than you suggest.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...d-what-it-took.

However you were wildly optimistic on the battery life.

The link above doesn’t work for me. But it was basically a Leaf owner in
California whose battery failed at 65,000 miles. He got a replacement which
cost a standard price of 6500 dollars. They estimated cost of battery
replacement just over 13 cents per mile.
That drive their cat to 90,000 miles before changing the battery by which
time the range had halved. But they could have changed it at 65,000 miles.