Old December 31st 16, 01:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Explore Scientific 12" f/5 Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 6:01:13 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 4:50:22 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
Any one has experience using this portable DOB?
How good is it?
Thx!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

I don't know anything about this particular telescope, but I've known the owner of Explore Scientific, Scott Roberts, for many years, and I know about some of their other telescopes. One of these days I'm going to buy this one...

http://explorescientificusa.com/prod...utov-newtonian

... because I really like rich field telescopes, and this one is great, and also very reasonable. I plan on mounting it on my 25"dob. I observed using it one night and had a great time, nice views.

Here is a review for you to peruse...

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/55...5mm-12-review/

... but it is just one guy's opinion.

I use to own a Russian 6" MakCas, it had very nice views, but very long focus length f\13?, over 30% CO. Very good for planets, if the seeing was good.
Wonder how this wide field Mak-Newt would perform on planets?
Of course, like any short f ratio telescope, needs HQ eyepieces.