Old February 4th 15, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
David Spain[_4_]

Default Fred Haise illness?

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 9:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 16, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Bryan Hayward wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what was
Fred Haise's illness on Apollo 13? In the film, "Jim Lovell"
made a joke about it being syphilis. What is the true story?

I worked with Fred Haise back at Grumman after he left NASA. He hosted the premier of the movie for a selected few of his co-workers. I was lucky enough to go. After the showing Fred turned to a bunch of us in the lobby and said, "That was Lovell's story...I wasn't that sick."

I had read somewhere that it was a urinary track infection. Now I can sympathize with Fred Haise, cause I got one of those when a kidney stone got stuck. You basically run a low grade temperature, which is a nuisance on top of great pain. The infection tho was the least of my problems, somewhat the same as Fred... ;-)

Dave