Old July 6th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Robert Geake

Default Variation in tides

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"p forsdick" wrote in message
. uk...
Hello
This has prompted a question I have not worked out the answer but is
probably a very easy one and everybody else probably knows the answer.
If the moon goes round the earth once about 25 hours and is the main
effect on the tides why do we get 2 high tides in 25 hours and not one
regards Paul

It is wrong to think of the tides as being caused by the Moon 'pulling'.
The key is that the whole 'Earth-Moon' system, is orbiting around their
common mass centre (actually inside the Earth). In it's simplest form, the
bit of the Earth closest to the Moon, gets pulled more, and bulges upwards
towards the Moon, but at the same time, the part furthest away, gets
pulled less, and with the centripetal effect, bulges up in the opposite
direction. Worse, the actual 'tides', lag the pull, and can get
accelerated/decelerated by the local geography, so (for example), there
are places that actually get four tides (or more!) a day, as the water
takes different routes round the local land masses.

Best Wishes

Damn it!

The first message i actually had an accurate answer to and someone beat me
to it ):