Old February 23rd 04, 08:30 AM

Default Light year distance question

Tony Sims wrote:

I've recently read that a distant galaxy 11 billion light years away
has been spotted.

Does this mean that in actuality it was 11 billion light years away 11
billion Years ago or that it is that far away now?

If it was 11 billion light year away 11 billion years ago then how can
this be the case assuming the universe is 14 billion years old. Each
galaxy would have had to travel 5.5 billion light years in just three
billion years i.e. moving faster than the speed of light? This is
assuming they originated in the same place as per the big bang theory.

Please let me know if I'm way off the mark here, just interested to
know.

Tony Sims

Hmmm, this has gotten me the thinking.

Givens:

Age of Universe, since Big Bang; 14 Billion Years.

Distance from Earth of Observed Galaxy; 11 Billion Light Years.

OK, the light we observe from this Galaxy (I'll call it G1) has been
traveling for 11 Billion years. "Eleven Builliyon Years" to quote Carl
Sagan.

At the time the light we now observer was generated G1 was 11B Light
Years away. In the time it took to get here G1 was continued to move.

So, how far away _IS_ G1?

TBerk