Old May 4th 19, 10:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

In article ,
says...

On 2019-05-04 10:23, Jeff Findley wrote:
Because the helium tanks, fuel tanks, and oxidizer tanks that supply the
Super Draco engines with propellant are all COPVs.

I would think that COPV aspect would be irrelevant since we're not
talking about a tank immersed into cryo tank.

Depends if that's what failed.

Obviously, which is why the tanks themselves are not likely suspects for
the root cause in this case, IMHO.

I doubt that this system has liquid helium in it at all.
If they contained liquid helium, that would defeat their purpose

entirely.

Does Helium become liquid when compressed? Mr Google only tells me it
becomes liquid when cooled. I was under the impression that they would
load liquid helium in those tanks and it would remain liquid due to high
pressure.

The helium tanks will contain high pressure helium gas.

I know you mentioned the engines need ballpark 250-275 psi to push fuel
into combustion chamber. At what pressure would helium be stored at in
its own tank ?

Those were numbers for the space shuttle, not Super Draco. I have no
idea what the chamber pressure is for Super Draco. Maybe you should try
Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco\

The above says the chamber pressure is on the order of 1,000 psi. The
propellant tanks will have a higher pressure in order to obtain the flow
rate needed.

Which is why all this idle speculation is actually annoying to me.

Blame lack of transparency when observers were used to a lot of
transparency in the past.

But this speculation does allow people to learn how things work, so for
instance, you provided the pressure ranges needed , and hopefully a
definition of "ignition" in the context of hypergolics.

Ugh.

NASA and SpaceX are no doubt combing over any imagery they have. You
really have no right to see that imagery, IMHO. I'm not sure what
compelling interest the public would have in such imagery. All it would
do is fuel more idle speculation, which is not at all helpful.

Sicne NASA is government operation, don't USA citizens have a right to
that information through FOIA?

Not if the information is considered a trade secret or regulated under
ITAR.

ITAR
https://gov-relations.com/itar/

Jeff