Old June 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,uk.sci.astronomy
BradGuth

Default What's wrong with there being ETs (smarter than us none the less)

On Jun 19, 8:41 am, Ian Parker wrote:
On 19 Jun, 16:14, BradGuth wrote:

Which laws of physics forbids other intelligent life?

What sort of evolution is strictly terrestrial limited?

What sort of planet/moon extremes are totally insurmountable for
having accommodated intelligent life?
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

None. What stops them being on earth is the Internet. You cannot
travel FTL. If you make an interstellar journey it will have
sophisticated AI. Where is all human life? Where is the human genome
stored? Radio reloj (in Britain) will be dead by 2012, where are the
TV programs? Where are there nice juicy murders that will give us
insight into life on Earth? Where are academic papers increasingly
being published?

ET can also speak for himself. Being AI he will speak multilingually.
My argument against ET is best summed up be "?Puerde leer en
espagnol?". Hence what we say is absolutely irrelevant. It will either
be pooh poohed or ET/AI will give an expositioon.

- Ian Parker

I'd agree that most any other planet or moon is technically doable,
especially for a smart ET/AI that knows enough how to safely get to/
from such places.

FTL isn't required (though 0.5'c' might be rather nice), and otherwise
being less smart than us humans should be more than sufficient for all
sorts of ETs to exist/coexist, including some of the bad or defective
ones that got put here on Earth.

However, if you were a smart ET/AI, as such how much distance would
you keep yourself and others of your kind away from Earth?
-
Brad Guth