Old March 4th 05, 08:01 PM
Eric Chomko

Matthew Hagston ) wrote:
: There's an idea that's been going through my head dealing with creating
: artificial gravity, before you think troll just stay with me here. It deals
: with two of Einstein's papers; the first stating as an object speed
: accelerates closer towards the speed of light, it's mass increases, the
: second states mass is directly related to gravity. So Take an object like a
: large super-conductive disk, inside a vacuum to reduce friction, and spin
: it. If you can make it spin fast enough (up towards the speed of light) you
: should be able to create gravity with out having the real mass required.
: Creating a sort of virtual mass so to speak.

: I realize there must be something wrong with my logic because this seems
: like such a simple solution, so I invite some criticism here.

I'm no physicist, but don't molecules have trouble staying together in
cyclotron-like environments? IOW, everything to date that we can manage
accelerate is of a sub-molecular level. What good is creating gravity for
elements with no way of retaining any molecular form?

And your object, the super-conductive disk; where can I buy one?

Eric

: --
: Matthew Hagston
: Hungates Creative Toys and Hobbies