Old March 4th 05, 06:47 PM
Allen Thomson

Matthew Hagston wrote:

If you can make it spin fast enough (up towards
the speed of light) you should be able to create
gravity with out having the real mass required.
Creating a sort of virtual mass so to speak.

I realize there must be something wrong with my logic because
this seemslike such a simple solution, so I invite some
criticism here.

It would work, but there are certain engineering difficulties
associated with spinning a material disk fast enough that the
apparent mass per unit area would be large enough. Also,
there would be a gravity gradient from middle to rim that
might be troublesome. Also also, you really wouldn't want
to have an accident with the thing.

Maybe what you need is a *very* high-current, high-energy cyclotron.
You wouldn't want to have an accident with that either.