Old August 19th 03, 11:35 PM
Andrew Gray

Default PRA - Public's Risk Assessment on Safety

In article , rk wrote:
I read these numbers in USA Today, found them kind of surprising:

The public accepts some risk that astronauts will die. Only
17% considered any shuttle accidents "unacceptable." Slightly
fewer than half, 43%, said they would accept one accident
every 100 flights; 32% said they would accept an accident
every 50 missions or fewer. Two shuttles have crashed in
113 flights.

This is much less risk adverse than I thought.

It's surprising to me, certainly...

Does anyone know, as a reference, if similar polls were carried out over
the past thirty, forty years? I'd be interested to see what the public
thought circa 1983 or 1968...

--
-Andrew Gray