Old September 6th 04, 07:18 PM
Georgiana Gates

Kevin Willoughby wrote:

In article ,
says...

Neil Armstrong [...] said:
I have ridden on 13 different rocket engines

I can't match that number:

by type:
X-1b
X-15
Titan-II first stage
Titan-II second stage
Agena (well, it was planned....)
S-IC
S-II
S-IVB (I'm being generous, both S-II and S-IVB used J-2s)
Apollo SPS
LM Descent
LM Assent
That's 11.

By number:
1 X-1b
1 X-15
2 Titan II first stage
2 Titan II second stage
5 F-1s
5 J-2s
1 J-2
1 SPS
1 LM Descent
1 LM Ascent
That sum is too high even counting just the moon flight.

Assuming Armstrong is correct [sic!], what am I missing?

and had the privilege of commanding three
different types of spacecraft,

Why not count the X-15? (Yes, Armstrong never took it to 100 km, but it
could reach space.)

I'm embarrassed to say that the title of the thread made me think of
*Lance* Armstrong, the bicyclist. It's really a shame how the early
astronauts have disappeared from the scene.