Old September 26th 09, 02:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,rec.models.rockets
giveitawhirl2008

Default Why not "Combat" Model Rocketry?

On Sep 18, 1:06*am, "Polyp" wrote:
"jonathan" wrote in message

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
t...
Trollin' trollin' trollin'

More like reminiscing, didn't everyone like blowing things up
when they were kids?

--

Which is why Mythbusters is so popular with kids & older kids alike.

Yes, and seeing things fly. I loved model rockets and managed to get
one candles-in-a-dry-cleaner-bag balloon airborne one time, only one
out of several tries. I never got those CANnons to work: aluminum cans
lined up, taped together, alcohol ignited at one end and a mango at
the other end. Think I had too many holes for the pressure to build
up. But CATAPULTS REALLY intrigued me and still do. All your power is
on the ground so no propellant wasted lifting other propellant. Never
built any.

One day, driving down a road in High Point-Greensboro area, NC, a
white object, maybe the size and appearnce of a washcloth or small
bathtowel, came out of the sky, crossing the road and landing in some
woods to my left. (it had the aerodynamics of a somewhat weighty
object.) I came close to going back to look for it but decided not
to.. I had learned that Southerners have an obsession with catapults
and that this probably has something to do with the War Between the
States. (Dave Barry). So I pretty well figured what it was I saw and
how it got airborne.