Old November 23rd 03, 06:52 AM
Henry Spencer

Default Russia's Secret: Did Space Station Nearly Die The Day It Was Born?

In article ,
Herb Schaltegger wrote:
Lockheed-designed "service module" to perform the task later given to
FGB. It was not divulged how and why Lockheed had designed such a
module nor were we encouraged to ask; it was enough that we were told:
"It works and this is what it can do . . ."

Aviation Week speculated that it was the KH-11 spysat bus; the numbers
seemed about right.

...It's unclear if NRO
simply refused or if they place so many roadblocks in the way of its use
that NASA was forced to go to the Russians on this aspect of the program.

I don't think they were *forced* to do it, so much as they found it a more
attractive alternative. The FGB module had in-orbit refueling capability,
had rather more ACS authority than the Lockheed bus (which was marginal in
this area and might have needed upgrading), and looked cheaper. Moreover,
NASA historically has been very reluctant to get involved with highly
classified stuff, just because it is so much hassle.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |