Old January 9th 04, 08:33 PM
Dick Morris

Default UPI Exclusive: Bush OKs new moon missions

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Dick Morris wrote:

No firm cost estimates have been developed, but informal discussions
have put the cost of a Mars expedition at nearly $1 trillion, depending
on how ambitious the project was. The cost of a moon colony, again,
would depend on what NASA wants to do on the lunar surface.

EDITOR'S NOTE - AP Science Writer Paul Recer has covered the U.S. space
program since 1964. "

I wonder if this guy has looked at any of the plans made since 1970..

I don't know, but he obviously hasn't looked at anything proposed since
1990. If there is anything behind that $1 trillion cost estimate, the
proposal will be as dead as SEI within a week.

There IS NO proposal for a Mars expedition. The rumored proposal is to
focus on a permanent lunar presence. This can be explained to Mars
fanatics as a precursor to an eventual Mars mission, if it makes them
feel better. But the real point is to start developing our closest
offworld resource base, and this is as it should be.

If there is anything at all to that $1 trillion figure it won't matter.
It'll be laughed to death before Bush utters a word.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |