Old June 14th 04, 08:33 PM
Peter Stickney

Mary Shafer writes:
On 13 Jun 2004 20:32:18 -0700, (LaDonna Wyss)
wrote:

In fact, I have a cute piece of information for you: Did you know
that, according to St. Louis Military Personnel records, the Air Force
never heard of Gus Grissom or Ed White, and the Navy never heard of
Roger Chaffee? (Those of you who have emailed me to send information,
would you like copies of those "Lt. Col. Who?" letters as well?)
Steve Chaffee thought that was a riot, especially considering his
father was given a medal posthumously for his service during the Cuban
Missile Crisis. I've tried the Pentagon, Air Force and Navy
headquarters in Washington, and the aforementioned personnel office
(and yes, I sent them everything but social security numbers and
fingerprints; there is NO excuse for them having "no record" of Gus,
Ed, and Roger.)
I'm currently trying the historical records archives of those branches
of the military, but as it stands at the moment, three men died on Pad
34 who (according to the military) never existed. :-0

Scott may not have mentioned this, but his father's name was Virgil.
He was nicknamed Gus, but the USAF wouldn't have that on his records.
As far as they're concerned, no one named Gus Grissom existed in the
USAF and they're right.

She also seems to be unaware of the fire that destroyed most of the
military personnel records (16-18 million people's worth, with no
backup copies whatsoever) on July 12, 1973. Getting DD-214s for
anybody whose service dates from before that time is problematical.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster