Old September 23rd 18, 11:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

Default "First Man" ...revisited: YouSuck-MZ

I need to post another correction. I was overly harsh in my criticism of James Hansen's talk, and his book and his movie. I was mistaken in speaking in the broadest sense that communicated that there is no value to the information he shares. My characterization of it being "garbage" is with respect to the one aspect of the issue of how Armstrong got to be first.

Surely there is plenty of value to other parts of Neil's story that he has gone into, far more deeply than most everyone else. And a prime example of this is the story posted earlier in this thread of how Hansen tells an intensely intimate story from Armstrong's combat days that Armstrong had shared with almost no one else, including his Naval aviator compatriots.

And just now I also listened to the audio clip of his book, the sample given here at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/First-Man-Lif.../dp/1501153064

There he tells the story of the Silicon Disc left on the lunar surface by Neil & Buzz. THAT is a beautiful story that is perfectly in line with the goals expressed by Yusaku Maezawa on Monday.

That audio clip of Hansen's book highlights the book by Tahir Rahman which focuses on this one piece of the Apollo 11 mission. A "forgotten" piece. Amazon lists Rahman's book as having its 1st edition published in 2008, so I don't know how the chronology works out with Hansen's 2005 book covering Rahman's work.
We Came in Peace for All Mankind: The Untold Story of the Apollo 11 Silicon Disc
https://www.amazon.com/Came-Peace-Al.../dp/1585974412

I would guess that that Amazon listing is the special 40th anniversary edition, and that the actual 1st edition came out prior to 2005.

Here is the disc story told in Rahman's own words:

Apollo 11 Silicon Disc Story (Fox4 News interview w/author Tahir Rahman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HmCF_Z_Ms

Apollo 11 Trailer for We Came in Peace for all Mankind (silicondisc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThXGx-zQnKc

It would be GREAT if this is covered in Damien Chazelle's movie. And considering the rationale that was given in why the scene of the US flag being planted was not portrayed, we might expect that a central focus will be given to this Silicon Disc. That would be absolutely excellent if they did this.

~ CT

________________________

I wrote:
snip
In a couple of weeks we are going to get a new movie on Neil Armstrong, and
it is going to be GARBAGE. I know this with certainty now because last night
I watched this talk by author James Hansen. His talk was titled "Why
Armstrong?" He talks for well more than an hour, and he gives the lamest of
reasons why Armstrong was first. He utterly failed to do his homework.

snip

Here is the talk I am criticizing:

The First Man on the Moon: Why Neil Armstrong?” Dr. James Hansen
(at AFRC, Aug3,2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqsWgEqqBc

Utter garbage. And if his talk is this shallow, then his book must be
garbage too. And since he was a prime consultant for the movie, and the
movie was based on his book, I am now expecting a mere fluff piece.

I still intend to watch the movie. But after seeing this talk, my
expectations for the film could not be any lower.