Old June 23rd 08, 06:35 PM posted to soc.men,sci.chem,sci.physics,sci.astro
Uncle Al

Default The run-away greenhouse is impossible

Andrew Usher wrote:

The conventional explanation of the run-away greenhouse effect,
which produced the conditions we see on Venus today, is that
the evaporation of water vapor caused the temperature to rise so
high that the atmosphere became unbound.

I have seen a journal article that says the temperature would reach
'several thousand degrees' until the surface could 'radiate in the
visible'.
This is absurd and impossible. In fact I am sure the temperature on
Venus has never been significantly hotter than today.

[snip cogent analysis]

The following sends the wrong message, doesn't it? It's factual.

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/a-window-on-water-vapor-and-planetary-temperature-part-2/

Sunspots and such,

Graphics
========
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Sunspot_Numbers.png
The most recent minimum, to the right, has averaged about 10
sunspots/month.
http://www.dxlc.com/solar/images/solar.gif
local solar flux is dropping
http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/tsi_composite.gif
local solar flux is dropping
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/Ap.gif
local solar flux is dropping to 10-year lows
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/sunspot.gif
projected sunspot number. All we need do is wait and see. The
third unmentioned red curve would be more interesting - stays flat.

COMMENTARY
==========
Global Cooling is nothing new. Click on graphics to enlarge.
http://smarteconomy.typepad.com/smart_economy/2006/09/global_warming_.html

http://www.newrivervalleynews.com/content/view/12742/261/
http://www.climatescienceinternational.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemi d=1
http://ff.org/centers/csspp/library/co2weekly/20060920/20060920_13.html
layman reference
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/06/040602061025.htm
slightly better
http://www.grisda.org/origins/10051.htm
data

Weather is always extreme compared to climate. One can play the
GLOBAL WARNING game with anything, earthquakes to

http://thepoorman.net/2008/06/18/gregg-easterbrook-is-wait-for-it-an-idiot/

Proximity is not causality. More hurricanes than any other time in
history were predicted post-Katrina! What does the highly anomalous
*absence* of Caribbean hurricanes portend? Extreme hurricane
disasters! Eventually a pulse will appear. So?

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/