Old October 23rd 03, 07:51 PM
Andrew Gray

Default Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

In article , stmx3 wrote:

But *why*? Why do you think she should fly? Is it because NASA has
dangled a potential flight in front of her for so long? To close the
circle left open from the loss of Christa McAuliffe? To show that
teachers belong in space? To open doors?

Alternately, because she's - to the best of my knowledge - a perfectly
competent, experienced and qualified member of the astronaut pool who
was assigned to STS-118 before anything happened with Columbia.
Admittedly, she got into the astronaut corps through an unusual
recruitment program, but I honstly fail to see how that's relevant to
put her on a different flight to the one she's been training for,
because someone has a bright idea that there might be PR value in it, or
that someone nebulously "should" be on this flight or that.

[Crew assignments have been shuffled a bit since I last checked, though,
so she might not be flying exactly then. But the point still stands...]

--
-Andrew Gray