Old September 23rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default What determines when the shuttle has to return to earth?

Well, I've seen the 0G urine device, seems to be a kind of semi rectangular
pipe end with a sort of seal that you hold against the body area required,
an a suction device makes sure that all goes in the right direction.

I imagine the solid waste device works in much the same way, though
obviously in suits, nappies and tablets seem to be the norm!

I imagine its pretty basic in the Soyuz though....

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Frank Glover" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Why are people so interested in toilets in space. I remember listening to
an interview with one of our British astronauts, and he says questions
about the toilet are the most often asked.

Brian

I'd say that it comes from an understanding that most spacecraft have
little in the way of privacy options, the use of spacesuits on many
occasions (espically in the Vostok, Mercury, Gemini days when one was
suited during the entire flight), and possibly a general (and correct)
sense that these things can't be done in the usual way in weightlessness.

(Though as I said in the other thread, that intuitive public
understanding, may not extend to the difficulty of having sex in free
fall. That's likely to become question #2, one day. But while we don't
necessairily have to have sex, we *all* have to answer nature's call,
periodically. It's something we all can identify with.)

Remember, the only intentional joke in the movie '2001: A Space
Odyssey' were the long instructions on the door of a zero-g rest room...

--

Frank

You know what to remove to reply...

Check out my web page:
http://www.geocities.com/stardolphin1/link2.htm

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the
human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking