Old July 13th 03, 08:34 PM
Odysseus

Default Hubble Helps Confirm Oldest Known Planet

Painius wrote:

Okay, thanks to you and David i'm beginning to understand. The
find does not actually extend the age of the Universe, and yet it
does not deny that it could also be much older. My error was in
thinking that the white dwarf was quite a bit older than it apparently
is.

The white dwarf in the system is presumably the star that was
referred to as "sunlike". This would imply its lifespan in the main
sequence to be a dozen billion years or so; since it hasn't yet
cooled to a 'cinder' its red-giant stage must have occurred less than
a billion years ago. The pulsar would have been a short-lived
supergiant; I suppose it's assumed to have captured the other star,
together with its planet, because it's hard to imagine how the latter
would have survived a supernova in the same system.

--Odysseus