Old July 13th 03, 06:58 PM
Painius

Default Hubble Helps Confirm Oldest Known Planet

"Odysseus" wrote...
in message ...

Painius wrote:

So true... and i'm of course not contesting this. What i'm
contesting is that a "Sunlike" star can go from birth to red
giant to white dwarf in about a billion years. Do we know
of any possible examples of this? Is such theory actually
sound?

The star we see 'now' is sunlike, but the postulated
first-generation supergiant(s) that produced the heavy elements out
of which the system was formed wouldn't have been sunlike at all.

--Odysseus

Okay, thanks to you and David i'm beginning to understand. The
find does not actually extend the age of the Universe, and yet it
does not deny that it could also be much older. My error was in
thinking that the white dwarf was quite a bit older than it apparently
is.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--