Old July 12th 03, 06:45 PM
Odysseus

Default Hubble Helps Confirm Oldest Known Planet

Painius wrote:

And yet we're saying that in about a billion years or less, a first gen.
star went supernova distributing enough complex elements to make a
second gen. star with stellar system of planets. Also in this time, all
but one of the planets (the one we've found) were destroyed when
the Sunlike star hitched up with a neutron star. And then the Sunlike
star reaches near the end of its life, the neutron star evolves into a
millisecond pulsar, the Sunlike star goes into white dwarf phase. And
all this happens in the agonizingly brief period of a billion years or so?

Remember that the bigger a star is, the faster it ages. Supergiants
are believed to have 'life-cycles' measured in millions of years, not billions.

--Odysseus