Old January 25th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Large file sizes

john p davies wrote:
Hi Group,

I know I have posted on this subject before but once again someone is
sending HUGE files to this group. I have tried to block him out but for
some reason the posts keep coming!

Is there no way we can have a maximum file size limit ? Is there a
moderator who could take some action?

These files are preventing me from enjoying the fruits of all the
excellent picture takers who contribute to this group and, incidentally,
costing me money.

Please don't tell me to get Broadband it is not available in this area.

Thanks despairingly,

JPD

Rather than downloading them off of the news group get them from

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/webrings/astro.html

It shows you the download size (smaller than here due to using 8 bit web
format rather than 7 used here) so you can decide beforehand whether to
download it or or not. Multiple picture posts can be downloaded
individually here as well if you only want one or two in the post.
Thumbs are provided so you know what you are getting. Also, when an
idiot like that one posts his junk it is usually not picked up by the
site so you don't have to wade through his lunacy. (Boy do I have to
edit myself.) His posts killed three months of posts I had on my
server. My New server purged everything due to his manure and started
fresh. I can still go back a month at this site and pick things up I
missed. It does run a day or so behind.

It's not Mysky (RIP) but it is better than nothing for your problem.

When I was on dialup using a 9k connection due to rotten phone lines I
used Free Agent as my news reader. It showed the image size, in lines
not bites but since each line was always the same size the number of
lines told size in very useful relative way. I only downloaded what I
wanted and then did it at night as it could be set up to download
selected files then hang up. Don't know if the current free version
does that or not. Seems most free programs get less for free each
"update".

Rick