Old September 22nd 04, 12:35 PM
sean

Craig Markwardt wrote in message ...
In a given analysis, there is only one light curve template, and it is
based on the nearby supernova remnant sample. The "stretch factor" s
is introduced to match an individual light curve to the template, with
the understanding that individual supernova light curves can be
slightly slower or faster than the mean.
There would be evidence of bias if the fitting of the light curve
profiles treated the nearby and high-z supernovae separately. BUT,
they were NOT. Both the samples were fitted with the same function,
including a stretch factor. [ref. 1, Tables 1 & 3]
There would be evidence of bias if the fitting of the light curve
profiles allowed only a stretch but not a compression. BUT, they did
NOT. Both stretched and compressed light curves were permitted in the
fitting, and in fact some moderate-z light curves evolved faster than
local ones as a result. [ref. 1, Tables 1 & 3] However, on *average*,
the high-z supernova light curves evolve much more slowly. [ref. 1,