Old December 29th 17, 04:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Red Tesla Roadster mounted on PLA

On 12/25/2017 9:24 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
https://www.space.com/39164-elon-mus...-heavy-rocket-
photos.html

From above:

"Musk has said that Falcon Heavy's first payload will be his
own midnight-cherry-red Tesla Roadster, launched on a
trajectory aimed for Mars orbit."

In other words, this sounds to me like a transfer orbit between earth
orbit and Mars orbit. My guess it will be chosen so that there is zero
chance of it actually hitting Mars or earth. So, it's just going into a
solar orbit.

There is also this Tweet from Musk on the subject, which I believe also
tends to confirm your speculation Jeff:

https://www.inverse.com/article/3976...eleted-twitter

Scroll towards the end of the article and you will see this quote:

quote
A Red Car for the Red Planet Test flights of new rockets usually contain
mass simulators in the form of concrete or steel blocks. That seemed
extremely boring. Of course, anything boring is terrible, especially
companies, so we decided to send something unusual, something that made
us feel. The payload will be an original Tesla Roadster, playing Space
Oddity, on a billion year elliptic Mars orbit.

-E. Musk
/quote

Dave