Old November 1st 16, 09:24 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

Default Ion drive for aircraft imminent.

"Robert Clark" wrote in
:

Nanotechnology makes possible an "ion drive" for air vehicles
analogous to the famous ion drive of NASA's deep space probes:

Carbon nanotubes for "Ionic Wind" Craft or "Ionocraft".
Clark R*
Department of Mathematics, Widener University, USA
Review Article
Volume 1 Issue 2 / Received Date: September 26, 2016 / Published
Date: October 20, 2016
Abstract
Peter Thiel of the Founders Fund once famously said, "We wanted
flying cars, and we got 140 characters."But nanotechnology now
does make possible the long desired flying cars.

The reason we don't have flying cars has nothing to do with the
method of propulsion. We've *had* flying cars for decades. And this
will do nothing to make them a) cheaper, b) easier to fly, or c)
safer when there are tens of millions of them in the air at once.

Note that if it works then all propeller
and rotor driven craft become obsolete.

Just like all propeller and rotor drive craft became obsolete when
jet engeins were invented. Sure.

Also, intermediate range
automobile travel would be taken over by the EHD craft,

Effectively, jet powered cars? Because it sounds like there will be
a high speed exhaust of _some_ kind behind the vehicle. Which makes
it . . . unlikely.

Plus, two orders of magnitude increase in thrust to weight from
current ion engines isn't even close to what a car needs.

so a
large proportion of carbon-emissions would be eliminated,
replaced by this zero-emission travel method.

The electricity has to come from _somewhere_.

As is usual, nearly universal, with all announcement of
revolutionary new technologies, this reads more like a prospectus
for investors than anything else. Which is to say, he wants to
invest a whole lof of other people's money into finding out if it
works.

If he really believed it would work, he'd invest his own money, and
keep _all_ the profits himself.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland: