Old July 18th 18, 08:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default Professor from second-rate university thinks he's going to time travel

Quadibloc wrote in
:

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 1:36:47 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher
wrote:
we do not cheat the normal passage of time even when we now can
experience noon twice in one day by crossing the date line or
travelling faster than the Earth is turning at certain
latitudes.

Yes, that is correct. Time zones don't change the fact that it's
the same time everywhere; due to the Earth being a globe, the
*time of day* is different in different places, so we call the
same time by different names in different places.

So noon GMT, when people are eating lunch in Britain, is also
called 6 PM Central Standard Time, when people are eating supper
in Saskatchewan. A different part of the daily cycle in the two
locations, but the same moment in time in both, as a
transatlantic long-distance telephone call could prove.

I believe that the latest conspiracy theory among Flat Earthers is
that other Flat Earthers - *all* of them - are part of the
conspiracy, in that they like during that telephone call. That
literally the entire human race is part of the conspiracy against
them.

Yes, they really believe this.

--
Terry Austin