Old August 30th 08, 03:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Default RapidEye ready for launch

Jake McGuire wrote:

:On Aug 29, 1:34*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Jake McGuire wrote:
: : Commercial imagery, on the other hand, will soon be offering 0.5 meter
: : images from GeoEye-1. *You can currently buy 100 square miles of 1
: : meter imagery from the Ikonos bird for less than $1,000.
: :
: :But no matter how much you pay GeoEye, you can't get them to give you
: :new pictures of a 100 mile square area every day for a week.
: :
:
: True, since the revisit time of a single bird is on the order of 72
: hours. *But what do you need that for?
:
:You're right. Clearly there is no military advantage to having a
icture of what was over the hill this morning as opposed to what was
ver the hill three days ago. I don't know what I could have possibly
:been thinking.
:

Which brings us back to resolution.

A tank is a single pixel in imagery with that resolution. You can't
bloody tell what is over the hill that's different because the
resolution is too poor for militarily significant objects to show up.

Yeah, I don't know what you were thinking, either.

-- Thomas Jefferson