Old August 30th 08, 12:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jake McGuire

Default RapidEye ready for launch

On Aug 29, 1:34*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Jake McGuire wrote:
: Commercial imagery, on the other hand, will soon be offering 0.5 meter
: images from GeoEye-1. *You can currently buy 100 square miles of 1
: meter imagery from the Ikonos bird for less than $1,000.
:
:But no matter how much you pay GeoEye, you can't get them to give you
:new pictures of a 100 mile square area every day for a week.
:

True, since the revisit time of a single bird is on the order of 72
hours. *But what do you need that for?

You're right. Clearly there is no military advantage to having a
picture of what was over the hill this morning as opposed to what was
over the hill three days ago. I don't know what I could have possibly
been thinking.

-jake