Old October 22nd 17, 02:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Sick of scientists pushing "panspermia" with no real evidence

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:25:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 09:32:08 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Panspermia does not require that asteroids/meteoroids were the
carriers of life. Or that it involved more than one carrier
(meteorites all come from just a few sources, which are bodies formed
with our solar system). Nor does it require that actual life was
transported between stars, just organic material.

Again, what do you care if a few people want to explore this line of
investigation?

So what organic material have they found on them?

On meteorites? Well, nobody has identified an interstellar meteorite,
but meteorites and comets formed within our own solar system contain a
variety of organics- amines, amides, amino acids, carboxylic acids,
sugars, aromatic hydrocarbons, and others.

It remains a viable theory that the organics which allowed life on
Earth were seeded by material formed elsewhere in the Solar System.