Old November 8th 10, 07:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default The First Step in Creating a Space Age - Treat Earth as a Planet

On Nov 7, 11:28*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Brad Guth wrote:
On Nov 7, 8:40*pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Brad Guth wrote:
On Nov 7, 7:47 pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
William Mook wrote:

We are contemplating 16 million airships carrying 40 tons each

Each one full of hydrogen gas, just like the Hindenberg...

Not that Mook is always right about everything, because he's not
unless you'd care to take his word for most everything, but you really
need to get yourself educated past 4th grade and at least learn the
physics basics before flatulating again.

That's really QUITE funny! *You have no idea how funny that is.

You see, I really AM a 'rocket scientist'.

There's nothing unsafe about using pure hydrogen, because pure (95+%)
hydrogen doesn't burn. *Put it this way, it's also a hell of a lot
safer than gasoline or even methane or worse yet is propane.

Well, except for that slight problem with there being all that
surrounding air full of all that oxygen and stuff. *It doesn't take
much to get an explosive mixture of hydrogen in air. *All you need is
a slight leak into an internal compartment and any sort of spark or
flame.

I guess, given your guidance above with regard to 'pure hydrogen',
that this never happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFptg...eature=related

Secondly, don't expect Mook to ever back down, because he never does.

'Back down'? *Who cares? *He makes a Mookery of pretty much everything
he touches.

While you tend to just Guth things up.

Hydrogen vapor always goes vertical and otherwise expands. *In fact,
there's nothing much stopping it from going vertical and expanding as
relatively failsafe.

So I guess the Hindenberg didn't really explode and burn, then?

I favor using nearly frozen or slush HTP (98+%) and a little bit of
something hydrocarbon for accomplishing the most easily stored energy
kick per volume, not that certain conditions of handling HTP are
exactly inert. *Anytime you mess with terrific energy density, such as
HTP plus whatever else, there's a risk of something going terribly
wrong.

You've missed the point. *Mookie was talking about INFLATING BLIMPS
with it.

*territory."

H2 inflated logging blimps is actually a very good application,
especially since there's little if any onboard crew. It's more likely
an H2 cell could rupture and gradually down would come the load of
whatever logs.

You'd think that a Mook logging blimp would have at least 16 cells, so
that losing one cell wouldn't be sufficient cause of an aborted
mission unless another cell ruptured. The logic here is simply, the
more cells the better.

~ BG