Old January 15th 04, 03:58 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Default Two Weeks To Mars With Nexis Ion Engine

writes:

Funny thing is that Werner Von Brown was the one who proposed this ion
engine more than 50 years ago. What was it with these Germans --

Conceptually, nearly all rocket engines are _EXTREMELY_ simple devices,
involving no physics discovered after WW2. The devil has been in the
_PRACTICAL ENGINEERING DETAILS_, not the concepts.

Einstein and Von Brown. Too bad they didn't team up.

It is unlikely that they would have accomplished much more together
than they accomplished separately. Einstein was a theoretical physicist,
not an engineer, and as I noted earlier, the problem was not with the
theory, but with the practical engineering.

Maybe together they could have put together a craft that approached
the speed of light.

Highly unlikely. They would have been stopped by the same reason we a
Lack of a sufficient power source. Even matter/antimatter power maxes out
around 80% of lightspeed, unless you use truly ridiculous amounts of it !!!

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'