Old August 27th 11, 06:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Comet Garradd Visits M71

On Aug 27, 7:32*am, Marty wrote:

Time spent under the stars is never wasted...

Marty

Under the stars is good but what is much better is the looking out
into the celestial arena where the stars come into view as the Earth
rotates with just a slight shift in view to consider our own Sun as
one of those stars.

Right ascension defines declination,or puts relevance to stellar
circumpolar motion in the neighborhood of Polaris but do you really
want to be under a stellar circumpolar dome for no other reason than
you lack the creativity to cut the motions of the Earth loose from a
rotating celestial sphere.When you put your binoculars away your hobby
ends for the night but there is another astronomy that matches cause
and effect with little or nothing other than the astronomer's power to
reason.

The normal experience of looking at a mountain, a tree,a person or any
other delightful object against the clear background of the sky is one
of humanity's most endearing traits but for you and your homocentric
empiricist buddies,you can't apply the same attitude to the stars ,you
want to 'curve' the background space or be 'under' the stars,never the
actual perception of looking out of the stars in context of the great
galactic islands of which we are a part.

Go outside and breathe the air of an astronomer for a change.