Old June 29th 03, 11:50 AM
Sally

Default Descent Thoughts (was - something and nothing)

But I do think so! Assuming no frictional losses of course. You still
haven't demonstrated a thought experiment where a frictionless system of
masses moving through G fields will lose energy.

Let us attack this from a different angle then....where does the energy from
the elevator go in your model? You have acknowledged that energy cannot be
destroyed. As the elevator slows down and the oscillations reduce in
amplitude the energy must be transferred away somehow. By what mechanism can
this happen?

By the way, try doing a Google search using "pendulum perpetual motion" and
some interesting stuff comes up. Some of it is thought provoking, some of it
downright wierd. I notice that there is frequently some confusion between
"perpertual motion" which is possible in our thought experiments and
"perpetual energy" machines which are supposed to supply energy forever. You
might need your silver foil hat for some of the latter sites g.

Sally

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hi Sally You say the pivot friction would slow the pendulum down. We
are now making magnetic bearings. No metal touching metal. In
your thinking the bob would go back and forth just like the spinning
disc. I don't think so. Bert