I'm thinking it was so that some racist could denigrate the Japanese
people by calling them "Japs."

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

..and you are what?
Idiot?

The British call themselves Brits - case closed.

The British took over a derogatory IRA term and detoxified it by making it
their own.

The 17th century Royal Society Brits took a hold of astronomy and turned it toxic where it remains to this day. How else to explain the utter disregard for the Polar day/night cycle and its rotational cause or indeed, the inability to assign the 1037.5 miles per hour Equatorial speed of the Earth.

The pseudo-science of astrophysics is founded on the very thing that mathematics is supposed to be clear on - a discernible route to a conclusion -

"The demonstrations throughout the book [Principia] are geometrical, but to readers of ordinary ability are rendered unnecessarily difficult by the absence of illustrations and explanations, and by the fact that no clue is given to the method by which Newton arrived at his results. The reason why it was presented in a geometrical form appears to have been that the infinitesimal calculus was then unknown, and, had Newton used it to demonstrate results which were in themselves opposed to the prevalent philosophy of the time, the controversy as to the truth of his results would have been hampered by a dispute concerning the validity of the methods used in proving them. He therefore cast the whole reasoning into a geometrical shape" Rouse Ball 1908

At least you are not bullied into silence by one of the colonists here who have little feel for a certain class in British society that I know all too well.