Old July 17th 17, 01:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

John Larkin wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:32:10 -0600, Greg Goss wrote:

wrote:

Nothing from a 1988 Ford F150 would even "plug into" a Ford F150 bought today.

BTW, a current Ford F150 costs about the same (in adjusted dollars) as a
1988 Ford F150 and does not perform significantly differently.

Lug nuts. Maybe whole wheels. Antifreeze. Gasoline (so long as we
stay this side of 1972 or so.) Does Ford still use a different tranny
fluid than everyone else like they did in the seventies?

Are modern "power points" heat resistant enough to take an old
cigarette lighter?

Has the trailer ball hitch changed since WW2? I realize that "hidden
hitch" sockets are a newer idea, but the old trailers can still be
"plugged in". You might need an adapter for the lights on the
trailer.

The controls have stayed remarkably steady. You've got the PRNDL
tranny setting, probably using a lever identical to the one thirty
years ago. You've got the steering wheel and two pedals.

Crankshaft, pistons, rings, spark plugs, poppet valves, gears. Hasn't
changed much in over a century.

Actually, other than cosmetics, the bulk of the change tends to be in
engines. Look at performance now vs performance then. My 1985
Corvette with a big V-8 did 0-60 is 6-ish seconds, a 15 second quarter
mile at 91 MPH, and had a top speed of 150 MPH. It was the fasted
mass produced car of its day. My current car (BMW 435i with a small
straight six) does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds or so, a 13.7 second quarter
mile at 102 MPH, and a governed top speed of 155 MPH. The BMW handily
beats the old 'Vette and it isn't even considered a performance car
these days.

--George Bernard Shaw