Old December 15th 03, 10:56 PM
Michael Walsh

Default Asshole Erskine

Reed Snellenberger wrote:

Michael Walsh wrote in
:

I will note that a killfile doesn't eliminate the message for the rest
of the world, it merely means that if you have someone in the file you
won't even have to see his message come up on your machine.

Basically it protects you from yourself.

Mike Walsh

I used to think that when I used Netscape to visit Planet Newsgroup. Once
I started using Xnews and it's scorefile/killfile system, I realized its
just a way to manage my time.

An effective way...

--
Reed

Well, yes, you can use it as a sort of "garbage disposal" system and this can
reduce the amount of time reading headers and determining whether or not
you want to actually read the post.

I am not complaining about people using killfiles, merely pointing out that
a killfile does not eliminate posts from newsgroups.

Some people get so much email that they have it sorted with one file
containg all of the mail they recognize as wanted and the rest put into
one or two other files, depending on whether they want to review it
before deleting it. The files can be prioritized with one file for things
that are believed to be truly trash.

Most people still want to be able to scan email, rather than deleting
it because they sometimes get wanted email from unexpected sources.

And, you don't need to be that concerned about Usenet posts.

Mike Walsh