Old March 11th 21, 01:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Russia and China agree to build joint lunar space station

In article ,
says...

On 2021-03-10 02:20, Frank Scrooby wrote:

What has Russia done in space in the last twenty years except build cookie-cutter copies of the Soyuz and Progress, and their launch vehicle, and mostly get them to ISS on time? No great interplanetary probes, no new modules for ISS, no independent space station development.

They built Mir. And the Russian segment if ISS is an evolution of it.
And they are to lauunch a new lab module this year replacing the nadir
airlock.

To be fair, the Nauka plans date back to the early 2000s. It's original
launch date was supposed to be back in 2007. We're still waiting for it
to launch. That's not terribly impressive. So, I'm not sure what China
is thinking teaming up with Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauka_(ISS_module)

The Chinese launched a couple of people into space,

On a Soyuz with chinese text on butons/screens.

China has it's own Shenzhou crewed spacecraft which is *loosely* based
on Soyuz. There have been 11 Shenzhou missions to date. Five of those
were uncrewed and six were crewed. Cite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhou_program

They are also developing a next generation spacecraft which has already
flown an uncrewed test flight on 5 May 2020. Cite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next-g...wed_spacecraft

Russia has been "working" on next generation spacecraft for decades.
They have yet to fly anything "next generation".

However, China has
something needed to go to the moon: money. And that is something Russia
isn't getting with low price of oil and sanctions against country.

True.

Jeff