Old November 18th 18, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Even relatively honest but left-wing BBC sometimes publishesrubbish

On 16/11/2018 15:28, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 22:28:17 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

What's "rubbish" about it? It's a legitimate news story about
something that some businesses are claiming they can do. That's
what good reporting looks like.

"We're just five years away from harnessing almost unlimited power
from "miniature suns", some start-ups say"

XXX say is standard journalise for "we don't believe it either" but
these folk were daft enough to say it on the record. It is a bit like
"The jury were told" as a way round strict UK contempt of court rules...

The same as they've been saying for 50+ years.

Not quite - they have been saying we are just a mere 50 years from
having fusion power and electricity too cheap to meter for more than 50
years. They have always been hopelessly optimistic about how easy it
would be to tame thermonuclear fusion. Even the best kit so far barely
makes break even on a good day and getting the energy out in a form
where it can be used to generate electricity remains a challenge.

No doubt it will be used to power the self-piloting flying cars that
run on desktop Linux, justl ike everything else.

Android for droids - please.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown