Old June 26th 18, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Bacteria in spaeships

In article ,
says...

Le 26/06/2018 à 03:04, Jeff Findley a écrit*:
I call bull****.

You're the one who used the word "thrive". These are*not* examples o bacteria thriving under something close to Mars conditions. These are
examples of them surviving exposure to vacuum, but they weren't growing,
weren't reproducing, and etc. They were essentially dormant.

Yes. I was answering to you saying:

quote
Not near vacuum. Try again.
end quote

OK, now that THAT objection is cleared you change the subject and admit
that bacteria can survive total vacuum.

Survive in a completely dormant state. Unless something close to earth
normal atmosphere, humidity, and etc. is eventually restored, all of
those examples will not survive in the long term. They will die out.

So, what's the problem with letting a few of them escape on the surface
of Mars where the ratified atmosphere and solar radiation will
eventually kill them?

They can also survive an hypervelocity impact, so even if the spacecraft
crashes and all humans are dead, their bacteria could survive.

Yes, only to eventually die due to lack of atmospheric pressure.

But I see that with scientific arguments (published papers, etc) you get
nowhere in a newsgroup where anybody can say anything and when proved
wrong they just change the subject...

The subject is "contaminating the Mars biota". There is little chance
we can actually accomplish that given the current conditions on the
surface of Mars.

Plants have been grown using simulated marsian soil, not under vacuum
conditions but that proves that nutrients are present... Bacteria are
far more resistant than plants, and could develop after a probably long
adaptation period.

So you also admit that no organism that we know of on earth can thrive
in the near vacuum on Mars? That's kind of the point here. It's hard
to contaminate Mars when everything you let outside goes completely
dormant, at best.

So, unless Mars is going to restore its own atmosphere sometime in the
future, I think we're fine with humans exploring the surface of Mars.

Jeff