Old October 19th 16, 03:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Latest candidate for SpaceX pad explosion

On 2016-10-18 23:27, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Hint: The pressure in the LOX TANK goes up as you add LOX.

Does it ?

No, I'm making it all up. Sheesh. What did I say again?

Don't they have an open vent as the pour liquid oxygen and let
evaporating O2 escape to keep pressure stable ? Don't they close that
gaseious escape valve just before launch ?

It's a pressure relief valve, not just a hole to the outside. What
did I say again?

Hint: The pressure in the LOX TANK goes up as you add LOX.

(if helium tank cracked and caused instant major increase in pressure,
then the open vent line couldn't have handled that and would have
allowed pressure inside to rise to beyond structural limits.

We're past that. The question is WHY the helium tank cracked.

Question: what advantage is there to have the helium tank inside the LOX
tank ?

Easier thermal management, among others.

territory."
--G. Behn