Old January 13th 16, 09:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default News out of Armstong, another loss

Fred J. McCall is guilty of
as of 1/12/2016 3:06:35 AM
Stuf4 wrote:

Ken Iliff, husband of Mary Shafer, died one week ago:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstron...pioneer-passes

There was significant overlap in careers.

I only knew him through his writing. His book 'From Runway to Orbit' was an
excellent read, yet a small fraction of his legacy. The title he picked for
his epilogue was Stairway To Heaven
(https://books.google.com/books?id=8QLGRq793Y4C&pg=PA339) One might imagine
that this is his current activity.

I hope those close to him are handling the loss ok. Ken and Mary met while
at grad school in UCLA right around the peak of the Apollo Program.

His book is about his aerospace career, but he also tells the story of how
when the first internet message was sent from UCLA, he was sitting two
offices away:

"To me, it seemed like a very peculiar thing to do, breaking up what a
computer could do very well by itself into little packets, shipping them to
other computers, and having other computers reassemble the packets and do
the work." "I've always remembered that event as something I probably
should have given a little more attention." (from p115,pdf135of424)

~ CT

I'm very sorry to hear this. I never knew him, but I definitely
remember (and miss) Mary. My deepest sympathies to the family.

My thoughts, too.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered