Old April 26th 05, 01:33 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:08:38 -0700, "Mij Adyaw"
wrote:

I advocate posting using a real email address, however I personally
would never use a real email address because of all of the software bots
that crawl Usenet collecting email addressed to sell to spammers. Many years
ago, I posted to this newsgroup using a real email address and within
several months my email address was ruined with spam. I was receiving over
100 spam emails per day...

I've been posting here since 1997 or so, and every post has contained my
real email address (the same one all that time). I have a few other
addresses I use for things that I think might attract spam. I don't see
any more garbage coming to my main address than to the others. Spam
filters are good enough to strip away the bulk of the junk and leave a
manageable (albeit still somewhat annoying) amount.

These days, there are so many ways of harvesting addresses that it
hardly seems worthwhile to worry about it. If you actually use your
address, it is only a matter of time before it is harvested (perhaps
from something as simple as a clueless friend who sends out some stupid
email joke to everyone in his address book- including you- and doesn't
know what the BCC field is for).

I have many Internet friends I have met through this group. Personally,
I don't choose to make it difficult for future ones by using a fake or
obfuscated address.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com