Old July 19th 04, 08:34 AM
FrediFizzx

wrote:

| "Paul Stowe" wrote in message
| .. .
[snip]

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=sl...oactivex. leb

esque-al.net&rnum=4

| Well, since you brought this up I have put all the correct conversion
| factors in your chart except for temperature. And fixed magnetic field,
| etc.

Sorry, it was magnetic flux that was fixed, not mag field. I see you have
changed it again. Where are you getting your definitions from? Griffiths
is showing magnetic field to be tesla. And mag flux to be weber. And H to
be amp/meter. Jackson agrees with mag flux and calls it a weber. However,
he calls "mag field", H, amp/meter and tesla, B, "mag induction". It would
be nice if there was some consistancy here. ;-( OK, I suppose we should go
with NIST definitions for SI? They agree with Jackson for mag flux as weber
and magnetic field strength as H, amp/meter. But they call B, tesla,
"magnetic flux density" which looks OK to me since it is weber/m^2. So how
about going with the NIST definitions so we can all be on the same page? Is
magnetic intensity the same as mag flux density? You had the conversion for
mag flux density (intensity?) as a tesla; it has to be tesla^-1 in order for
mag flux density to be dimensionless. Corrections made below.

| Quantity SI Conversion Factor to (Stowe Units)
|
| Length meter (m) 1 meter(m)
| Mass Kilogram (kg) 1 Kilogram (kg)
| Time Second (sec) 1 second (sec)
| Force Newton (Nt) 1 kg-m/sec^2
| Energy Joules (J) 1 kg-m^2/sec^2
| Power Watts 1 kg-m^2/sec^3
| Permitivitty [z] (Q^2/kg-m^3) tesla^2 kg/m^3
| Permeability [u] (kg-m-sec^2/Q^2) tesla^-2 m-sec^2/kg
| Charge [Q] (Coulomb) tesla kg/sec
| Current [i] (Amp) tesla kg/sec^2
| Electric Field [E] (V/m) tesla^-1 m/sec
| Potential [V] (Voltage) tesla^-1 m^2/sec
| Displacement [D] (coul/m^2) tesla kg/m^2-sec
| Resistance [R] (Ohms) tesla^-2 m^2-sec/kg
| Capacitance [farad] tesla^2 kg/m^2
| Magnetic Intensity (Weber/m^2) tesla^-1
Dimensionless **
| Magnetic Flux (weber) tesla^-1 m^2
| Inductance [henry] tesla^-2 kg-m^2
| Temperature [°K] (Kelvin) 1??? kg-m/sec^3
|
| ??? A Tesla is, in my clarified system of SI, is dimensionless. It is
has
| dimensions of Weber/m^2 (See: http://www.teslasociety.com/teslaunit.htm).
| A weber is a Volt-second (See: http://www.bartleby.com/65/we/weber.html).

Yes, I know. That is why all the conversion factors are in powers of a
tesla (kg/coul-sec). It is interesting that the conversion for E is 1/tesla
while displacement, D, is tesla. This is strange as the conversion from CGS
to your units for E and D would be the same since they have the same units.
???

| Now, what can we glean from this? Other than the magnetic field is
| dimensionless.
|
| The magnetic 'intensity' is a indication of the 'linear' effect that the
| circulation (Curl) has at that point in space. It is definitely
| dimensionless. For example,
|
| F = q(v X B)
|
| Since q is the ean magnitude of the cyclic field flow (Div) pointing
| to (or from) a point and B represents the circulation around that point
| in a plane. We also know that,
|
| F = qE
|
| And then we should discern that we can equate,
|
| E = (v X B)
|
| Does this not tell us that the E field is just a manifestation of a
velocity
| field (v) interacting with B's (Curl) circulation???

Yes, that looks OK.

| What does that gain for us? In a discussion with Barry, we did trip
across
| the fact that if you take the strict mechanical definition of the
ampere,
| it would be mass/time^2. Hmmm....
|
| I've known that for a very long time. Think about the mechanical example
| of a LHO. Such as,
| __
| 1 /
| ====== (Kg/sec) = --- / Km
| 2pi \/
| \\| __________
| \\| | |
| \\| |\ \ \ | |
| \\|- \ \(K)\ |-| (m) |
| \\| \ \ \| | |
| \\| |__________|
| \\|______________________________
| \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
|
| Now, define the actual velocity of m wrt to displacement. It certainly
| isn't constant or linear. Thus the momentum of m wrt displacement isn't
| constant (mv) but is a function of the displacement distance m. Work it
| out and solve the above LHO equation... You'll get a definite value for
| kg/sec^2. I think you'll find the exercise interesting.

Akk! I have get this from google because of the font thing again to
decipher your ascii art. Or you can just work it out if you wish.

| Seems like we lose some functionality here.
|
| Not at all IMO...
|
| Magnetic Flux is area?
|
| Yeah, think about that

Well, there seems to be something missing here. That which is producing
this area?

| Electric field is length/time?
|
| Yes, a velocity term. But you do need to understand the concept of
'drift
| velocity' as applied to hydrodynamics.

Ok, explain it again please.

FrediFizzx