Old June 18th 17, 10:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Power Satellite Economics

On Jun/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote :
David Spain wrote:

On 6/9/2017 5:24 AM, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Terrestrial solar and wind drive UP prices unless they are heavily
subsidized.

Oh no argument from me. And if heavily subsidized the cost is shifted
from direct payment of an electric bill to the indirect payment through
higher taxes so you could have removed the "...unless" part of that.

Just trying to keep anyone from leaping on 'consumer cost' and making
claims that don't stand up.

[Sorry if this is posted twice, I posted it 90 minutes ago, but I
don't see it on the news group.]

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...aper-than-wind

excerpts:
"But now unsubsidized solar is beginning to outcompete coal and natural
gas on a larger scale, and notably, new solar projects in emerging
markets are costing less to build than wind projects, according to fresh
data from Bloomberg New Energy Finance. "

"Auctions, where private companies compete for massive contracts to
provide electricity, established record after record for cheap solar
power. It started with a contract in January to produce electricity for
$64 per megawatt-hour in India; then a deal in August pegging $29.10 per
megawatt hour in Chile. That’s record-cheap electricity—roughly half the
price of competing coal power."

Alain Fournier