Old October 17th 13, 08:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default Sky at Night

On 16/10/2013 23:56, mick wrote:
On 16/10/2013 20:00:02, James Harris wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

Hardly. More like: "This programme is one that used to include scenes
of a scientific nature."

Yep, dumbing down is the first step on the road to oblivion. In
fact on
that observation the BBC should have been obliterated long ago :-)

Good job you put the smiley. ;o)
Looking at the dire 'science' offerings now being shown by the
Discovery network and History channel, at least BBC science programs
do contain *some* science rather than 'rednecks' bidding on storage

Agreed - the Beeb has been making excellent programmes for many years
and is still doing so.

'Ancient Aliens'.. All TV science is being dumbed down in every
Western nation for some reason. Worrying.

I remember Open University programmes on BBC2 being very grey and
staid but carrying real information and being fascinating. You know -
really teaching something. Latterly, though, they had become very
colourful and musical but were more like introductions to the subjects
and didn't go in to any detail. At that point I lost interest in them.

It seems there are others who feel the same.

James

They still make good programs with quality camera work and access to
places where normal people would never get. But why do they seem to
treat each program as a beginners guide. I can think, imagine and
discuss most things in-depth, but from my experience the BBC seem to
pander to the masses whose attention span is limited and will switch off
if it is not edu-tainment. For example, Country File is all fragmented
reports with the same reminder cropping up three or four times of what
is actually being reported. Why can't they do a single report from
beginning to end in one go and cut out the repeated reminders. Maybe
that would give time to included a more in-depth report or another
completely different subject in the same program.

What is the fixation about pandering to the ratings? If people switch
off they still get the licence revenue. If people zap through ad breaks
on commercial TV then tough titty for the advertisers but the TV
companies still get the ad revenue